Face masks violators in East Java have been ordered to dig graves for the victims of Coronavirus as punishment at a public cemetery in Ngabetan village.
Cerme district head, Suyono said that there was only three available gravediggers at the village, so, he thought he might as well put these COVID violators to work with them, as quoted by Tribune News on Wednesday. "Hopefully this can create a deterrent effect against the violations," Suyono added.
To help the gravediggers, Suyono assigned two people to each grave in the village. One is tasked with digging the grave, while the other lays wooden boards inside the hole to support corpse.
He also said the number of COVID-19 cases is continuing to rise in Cereme, prompting the village administration to strengthen the safety measures.
Based on the Regent law No. 22/2020, residents who ignore the protocols are subject to community service or fines by law.
Nadi bin Eji, who works in at one of the two cemeteries in Jakarta where COVID-19 victims are buried said 2,600 burials have taken place in eight, new plots since the beginning of pandemic.
Separately, Cerme Police chief Adj. Nur Amin said the police would cooperate with the military to enforce the COVID-19 protocols, such as by dispersing public gatherings.
"We urge people to wear face masks in accordance with the COVID-19 health protocols," he said.
The Pondok Ranggon cemetery told ABC, last week they have buried 201 people with COVID-19 protocols.